BOMBAY TIMES (July 12, 2018)

As Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai celebrates her birthday today, the makers of her upcoming biopic have another reason to rejoice — the first-look teaser of the movie, titled Gul Makai, will also release today, to coincide with the special occasion.

“When I first read about Malala, what struck me instantly was her courage and determination,” said director Amjad Khan (right). Backed by producers Sanjay Singla and Preeti Vijay Jaju, the filmmaker was determined to keep the authenticity of the young braveheart’s story intact. He added, “Writer Bhaswati Chakrabarty spent two-and-a-half years on research, ensuring that we got even the minutest detail right.”

When asked about the title of the movie, he replied, “I named it Gul Makai, because that was the pen name Malala used when reporting on the conditions that prevailed in her native place (Swat Valley, Pakistan). My film is a tribute to this young girl, who is out to make a difference.”

Divya Dutta, who plays a pivotal role in the movie, said, “When Amjad narrated the script to me, I knew that I wanted to be a part of this project. Films like these are few and far between and I am excited about it.”

Atul Kulkarni, who also portrays a significant character in the biopic, added, “It is a powerful story, and every person, who has worked in this movie, has done it for the right reason and with utmost dedication. I am really happy to be associated with it.” The title character will be essayed by the young actress Reem Sameer Shaikh. The film, which is in post-production, is slated to release by the end of this year. “I am positive that the audience will like the first look of Gul Makai. I am eagerly looking forward to their response,” Amjad Khan summed up.