Ranbir Kapoor and Alia Bhatt
Nayandeep Rakshit (DNA; June 23, 2018)

Since her debut in Karan Johar’s Student Of The Year (2012), Alia Bhatt has maintained that she wanted to work with Ranbir Kapoor. Her long-cherished dream has finally come true. The two actors are romancing each other in Ayan Mukerji’s Brahmastra. Of course, the stories of their real-life romance have grabbed even more headlines than their reel love story. When we catch up with Alia, she talks at length about starring in the ambitious project with Ranbir, what she loves about him and explains why she would settle down only when she wants to. Over to her...

Brahmastra seems like a sci-fi superhero film. Do you play the damsel in distress in it?
It’s not a superhero film. Actually, it’s a supernatural flick. I’m not the damsel in distress. I’m the opposite in Brahmastra. This character is hugely inspiring for women, including me because I’m drawing a lot of strength from it. She is a young, powerful, brave yet vulnerable girl. There are so many beautiful layers to her character. She is aspirational, more so as a human being.

It’s going to be made into a three-part series? You have already shot for it. So, how has the experience been?
Yes, the plan is to make it into a trilogy. We’re hoping this one does really well. The first schedule, which we shot for, was a long extensive action-packed one. We are filming this month and then we go back to Bulgaria in July. Whatever we’ve shot has been a magical experience and something I’ve never done or even heard of before. It’s the sheer hard work of the team, beyond our involvement as actors, which is amazing. Ayan is a good friend and the kind of effort he’s put into this film, is more than even what a parent would do for their child. But Brahmastra requires this kind of attention because it’s larger than life. At the same time, it’s Indian at its core.

So much has been spoken about Ranbir and you. What is it about him that you like the most?
It’s been great working with him. It’s exactly how I imagined it to be. I’ve always thought that Ranbir is such an amazing actor. So, I hoped that his process to his art would also be equally beautiful. He’s the easiest actor as well as a human being I’ve worked with. I’m at times shocked at how chilled out he is (laughs). That doesn’t mean he’s detached. He’s just too positive and understands that there’s a flip side to everything. His attitude is like ki sab manage ho jayega. I’ve learnt a lot from that.

Do the stories about your link-up affect you?
The truth never bothers me. At the same time, even lies don’t affect me because if it’s not true, I don’t care. Link-up rumours don’t affect my relationships with people. We have gotten used to it because it is a part and parcel of being in the business and limelight. Everyone has things to say and you can’t get affected by them.

Do you think that marriage affects the longevity of a heroine’s career?
Anushka (Sharma) and Sonam (K Ahuja) are proving that married actresses can remain stars and they are doing it fearlessly, which is beautiful. I would like to be one of those people as well. I don’t think a good actor should be out of work because of their relationship status.

Would you settle down?
I would never fear getting married thinking my career might end. I will settle down if I want to. One should be able to have a career, regardless of being married or not.