Kabir Khan tells BT why he won't succumb to revering legends in his upcoming film on India's 1983 Cricket World Cup victory - unlike most biopics in India - and why he chose Ranveer Singh to play Kapil Dev in it
Renuka Vyavahare (BOMBAY TIMES; October 18, 2017)

No matter how well made, Indian biopics, those on sports personalities in particular, end up more as hagiographies than biographies. The films often idolise the people they portray.

When we raised our concern regarding this trend to Kabir Khan, who is making a film on India's historic win at the 1983 Cricket World Cup, he agreed, adding, “When we deal with true stories from the past, we tend to get a little over-reverential, but we should not do that. People in the past didn't live like Gods! They were human and they made mistakes. In films too, you need to show that normalcy, or else you cannot identify with these people. Even the great Kapil Dev had his moments of weakness. Only if you show that will you enjoy his triumphs more.“

So, why did he choose Ranveer Singh to play Kapil Dev in the film? He revealed, “I am very instinctive as a filmmaker. I don't deliberately intellectualize a lot of things. I go with my instinct. From the time I knew I had to cast an actor as Kapil, I knew it had to be Ranveer. He is the first guy I went to and I am glad he came on board. I am very fond of him.“

Interestingly, not many know that Kabir knew Ranveer even before he became an actor. He recalled, “I remember meeting him at a studio; those days, he used to carry his portfolio, showing it to anybody who wanted to see it (laughs). Ranveer has the same energy even today and that's commendable. Success hasn't changed him. He is genuinely warm and affectionate.“