Pune's Film And Television Institute of India (FTII) will now be spearheaded by Anupam Kher, who has taken over from Gajendra Chauhan as the Chairman. The actor spoke to BT about his appointment and his plans ahead...
BOMBAY TIMES (October 14, 2017)

You’ve taken over the reins from Gajendra Chauhan, whose appointment was criticised by students and quite a few people of the film fraternity...
The world had criticised his appointment, why single me out? Look, I have not read the full charter of my responsibilities yet, but as far as I understand, the students were hurt about his appointment. The Chairman doesn’t get involved in day-to-day activities, but he oversees everything. The office is of prime importance and should be held by someone who has a credible repertoire. Fortunately, I won’t have that problem. I am absolutely qualified for the job that I’m entrusted with. I’m working with some of the finest names in the business in India and internationally. The idea is to pass my learnings to the students.

But reportedly, certain student bodies also have some reservations about your appointment. In the meanwhile, they’ve penned a letter asking your views on their on-going problems in the institute. Your comment?
Everyone who votes in this country has a political point of view. I have never let that interfere with my work in any sphere. And understandably, my thoughts and opinions about politics will not get into the way when I communicate with the students either. I would like to talk to them one-on-one, not through the media. I believe in having a straightforward communication channel with the students. It’s like hearing your children speak their minds. I am the elder one here, and so, I want to hear them out instead of it being vice-versa.

The day your appointment was announced, author-columnist Shobhaa De posted on her social media page hinting at your appointment (with disappointment). It met with a lot of criticism on social media.
Controversies and criticisms are a part of life. We haven’t spared the greatest figures of the world. Show me one public figure, who hasn’t faced this for one or the other reason? Phir main to ek aam insaan hoon, mujhe kyun bakshenge? I don’t want to get into names, but there are people who think it’s their job to pass judgements. Let them be. My job is to practically work and deliver what is expected from me. I don’t have the time for riff-raffs.

The film fraternity, however, seems pleased with the decision to appoint you. Do their expectations add pressure?
Yes, the fraternity is happy and there is a lot of support pouring in from there. So many people in the industry are former FTII students. So, as an actor and a teacher, I have of sense of responsibility. It’s a great opportunity to give back to the society and the fraternity. If people don’t take up responsibilities, how will they ever make a difference? I’ve always taken up things and made them work, irrespective of the circumstances. I wouldn’t have come this far otherwise. And this is the only way forward. I want to go about doing my work with the students and reach an understanding with them about how we can move forward together.

Given that the last Chairman’s tenure was marred by a 139-day student strike to merely oppose his appointment, how do you plan to win the confidence of the students in your current position?
The idea is to facilitate and empower students. Of course, this is a position that will also elevate my biodata as an active artiste in India and abroad. I come with a certain perspective and knowledge which I’ve gained with my years of experience. I have to work on the curriculum to update it to suit our current industry needs. Students seek admission to educate themselves and better their chances in whichever industry they step into. Besides, this opportunity will be a great learning experience for me also. I will also pick up things from my students and my job. I am a live example of what possibilities and perseverance can do. Who had thought that a clerk’s son from Shimla would become the FTII Chairman one day? I want these students to have their fair share of dreams and honestly pursue them with a sense of commitment. At the outset, I will only listen to them. I am not going to enter the campus with any preconceived notions. And change is a collective idea; an individual cannot bring about any change. If I have to make changes, I will need the students to function with me. We ought to have open conversations to understand each other well. I want to walk along with them. While educating them, I want to help them fly. This institute has everything going for it. I just want to restore the glory of FTII.