Bhumi Pednekar
MID-DAY (August 7, 2017)

Bhumi Pednekar says she will not let go of a good role due to the fear of being typecast. The 28-year-old actor made her debut with Dum Laga Ke Haisha (2015) where she played a small-town girl who battles patriarchy.

In her upcoming projects, Toilet - Ek Prem Katha and Shubh Mangal Saavdhan, Bhumi appears to be portraying similar characters. “I have thought about getting stereotyped. But I am not going to miss out on a role because I am scared that people will only see me as a small-town girl,” Pednekar says.

She has worked hard at making her characters stand apart and hopes the audience appreciates her effort. “It’s a bigger challenge for me to make every character different. They belong to the same economic stratum and are courageous. This is the only similarity. I hope people don’t feel the characters are same because I’ve tried recreating myself in all these films by staying true to my character.”

The actor says watching diverse cinema has influenced her choice of films. “I think I naturally have a tendency to pick such roles. I’ve been brought up in an environment where we were made socially responsible at a young age.” She is glad that films today offer well-etched characters to women. “Even the audience wants to watch good films today and content is the king.”