Posted by Fenil Seta
Avinash Lohana (MUMBAI MIRROR; July 13, 2017)
It’s been an eventful year for Saif Ali Khan so far. After the release of Vishal Bhardwaj’s Rangoon, the 46-year-old actor wrapped up Raja Krishna Menon’s grastronomical-comedy Chef in February, followed by Akshat Verma’s Kalakaandi. He began shooting for Gauravv Chawla’s Nikkhil Advani-produced Baazaar in May with Chitrangda Singh, Radhika Apte and newcomer Rohan Mehra.
Now, Mirror has learnt that Saif is set to play a warrior in Aanand L Rai’s untitled next which is based on the battle of Buxar. Navdeep Singh, who has previously directed Anushka Sharma’s NH10, is on-board as director.
“Saif has heard the script and really liked it but is yet to sign on the dotted line. The film is currently in the pre-production stage and everything will be locked in a couple of months,” informs a source close to the development. The Battle of Buxar, a decisive victory for the British East India Company, was fought on October 22, 1764, between the British forces, led by Hector Munro, and the combined armies of Mir Qasim, the Nawab of Bengal; the Nawab of Awadh; and the Mughal Emperor Shah Alam II.
Aanand L Rai’s spokesperson told Mirror, “We’ll be happy to have Saif on board with this film. The talks are on and official announcements will follow soon.” The filmmaker is currently busy shooting for his Shah Rukh Khan-starrer, which will also feature Salman Khan in a special song. “Salman and Shah Rukh will shoot together over three days. The number is being choreographed by Remo D’Souza, who has taken a break from the city tours of his reality show to focus on the lavishly mounted song for which a huge set has been erected. Rehearsals have already kicked off and it will be shot at a suburban studio,” a source had told Mirror (July 3).