Katrina Kaif
Katrina Kaif on turning 34 today and why she doesn’t get excited about her big day...
Nayandeep Rakshit (DNA; July 16, 2017)

It’s noon here but 2 am in the US. Katrina Kaif’s just returned to her hotel room from a film award event. Tired and exhausted, Kat still makes some time to talk to us, ahead of her birthday today. In this short chat, she tells us why she isn’t too gung-ho about celebrating birthdays and what’s on her wishlist for the next one year. Read on...

Do you like celebrating birthdays?
Yeah, maybe. Honestly, I don’t know if I’m exactly a birthday person. I’m not sure. I’m still in two minds about how big a video one should make for their birthdays. Right now, because we are in New York and there’s so much happening around, we are just going to have fun. That’s it.

As a kid, how did you celebrate your birthday?
As a kid, I don’t think there was much time or energy spent on birthdays (laughs). My family had too many kids to give each birthday any importance. It was only later that we started celebrating them. Obviously, this year, I am performing on the night of my birthday, Jagga Jasoos has just released and I have my birthday.

What’s your fondest memory of a birthday that you can recall?
Umm, let me think... I really don’t remember. I have always travelled on my birthdays in the last few years. Although last year I spent it with friends in Mumbai, and it was lovely. But the two years before that, I have always travelled out of the country. So seeing and visiting new places, it’s been fun!

What’s the craziest thing someone has done for your birthday?
I don’t have interesting birthday stories to tell. (Laughs) There’s nothing that I remember right now.

Do you buy things for yourself on birthdays?
No, no. I don’t.

One thing you are definitely going to do, before you turn 35...
I don’t even know what I’m going to do day after tomorrow. I don’t plan that far. But if you ask me what I wish to do, I would say I want to concentrate on my work, get happiness through it, to get some more grounding in life and to be at ease. So, good health, happiness and fulfilment.

Will you opt for a cheat meal and skip your workout?
I’m going to be rehearsing for my performance. After that, I will decide what I’m going to do, where I’m going to do it and how I’m going to do it. I haven’t planned anything for my birthday, yet.

Your family is coming down..
Some of my sisters will be here with me. So, it will be good.

If you had an option to change something about you, what would you change?
Probably the amount I stress. I would want to stress less.

Birthday with friends or birthday with family?
Both, I think.

Birthday party or a birthday trip?
I think it’s about where you want to be. It doesn’t matter what it is, when you have the people around you who you like.

Chocolate cake or fruit cake?
Chocolate cake!

Gifts or cash?
Birthday gifts, of course!

Champagne or wine?
Not a big drinker so neither.

Perfumes or shoes?
I don’t care. I’m not 13!

Messages via texts or a birthday call?
I think either of them is fine. Even messages are fine, as long as they are personalised.

Dinner or disco?
Dinner.