Katrina Kaif and Ranbir Kapoor
Bollywood actress Katrina Kaif rubbishes rumours of affection between co-star Ranbir Kapoor and her being an act to make their upcoming film, 'Jagga Jasoos', saleable
Sonil Dedhia (MID-DAY; July 10, 2017)

Anurag Basu is known for changing the storyline. Was it difficult to work with him?
It does get difficult because you can't come on the sets (with a) plan, but that's the beauty of Dada (Basu). He doesn't want his actors to think in a particular way, and that is a big relief. I believed in his directorial abilities. He observes his actor, sees the things he wants to highlight of their persona, and also the things he'd like to change or add to the character. One day, he told me, 'You are always thinking about something. I want to know what it is.' So, he understood our frame of mind.

The film took a long time to be made. Did that bother you?
There were days when it was really frustrating and we would wonder when it would finally end. We even questioned if we would be able to pull this together. But honestly, every day brought something to look forward to. I realised we were creating something unusual. I've always had a good feeling about the film. Frankly, I have grown up watching musicals. So, having got a chance to be a part of one kept me excited.

Did the turmoil in your life [Kaif split from Kapoor while filming Jagga Jasoos] affect you?
I am good at keeping my personal and professional life separate, so the things that people said, did not bother me. Also, I was determined to see this film through. At that time, no one could have stopped me from doing that. After Baar Baar Dekho (2016), this was the only film I had for six months. I needed to stand up strongly in my career. The media, however, only wrote about your personal life. Because that's where I was spending most of my time. Back then, I was happy [in the relationship]. Today, I'm happy my career has gathered momentum.

There were reports that you don't want to work with Ranbir again.
Right now, we are waiting for Jagga Jasoos to release. Post that, I have a few films lined up and Ranbir is also busy with his commitments. I haven't thought about what happens later.

A friendly banter between you two has been evident during the promotions.
We have always had this friendly banter. This is how we have always spoken to each other, right from [our first film] Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani (2009). We share a great chemistry. I am happy that people are getting entertained by us. The conversation that you see between Ranbir and me is not rehearsed and I don't think anyone can rehearse the nonsense that we talk. People are looking at it through a microscope.

You have films with the three Khans lined up. With such big outings in your kitty, do you ever get complacent?
I did in the past, but not now. The last year-and-a-half has been tumultuous for me. I had to shift my focus from my personal life to professional one. It took a lot of perseverance. Now that work is the only thing on my mind, I'm not complacent because I know how hard it has been to get back.

The industry looks at Deepika Padukone and Priyanka Chopra as powerhouse performers. Even Alia Bhatt is considered someone to look out for. Does it bother you that your name doesn't feature among them?
Both the actresses that you mentioned have had some phenomenal releases. Their films have been appreciated by the critics, and have worked well commercially too. People judge actors on the basis of their box-office successes, and my last two films haven't performed. I am fortunate to still be working with some of the biggest names in the industry. The fact that I have four films, three of which are being helmed by production houses that are important for me, makes me excited about my career. Box-office successes are important because it is crucial to be accepted by people.

Is it easy to remain unaffected by the success of your peers?
I have been in the industry for 14 years. There was a phase in my career when every film that I did, performed well. If I complain, that's just me being unfair towards my career. Of course, I would like to be appreciated at all times, but with highs come lows, and everyone has to face this.

Katrina Kaif: Coincidence that I'm working with three Khans