Arjun Kapoor
Sonil Dedhia (MID-DAY; July 12, 2017)

At a a time when political correctness is the order of the day, Arjun Kapoor makes for a refreshing change with his honest answers. Point out that his love life hits headlines ever so often — the most recent being his link-up with Mubarakan co-star Athiya Shetty — and the actor candidly says he’s been “so selfish” about his work that he has no time for a relationship.

“Since I started working in 2012, I haven’t had time for myself, let alone someone else. The only time I took a break was before I started working on Ki & Ka (2016). In fact, after Mubarakan, I have two months when I will be busy prepping for Dibakar Banerjee’s Sandeep Aur Pinky Faraar. So, my personal life has always taken a back seat.”

Kapoor, 32, says that he craves the warmth and stability that a relationship brings. “Anyone would want to have someone whom you can talk to about nothing. I’d love to pass out next to someone who will tuck me in, or may be surprise someone by taking her out for dinner. I keep saying that it will happen soon and I hope it does,” he laughs.

However, he maintains that marriage is still a far-fetched thought. “I feel I have two years before I get married. I’d love to be in a steady relationship and consolidate it. Marriage, to me, is a step that needs to be taken when you are 200 per cent sure.”

For now, it’s all work for Kapoor. The actor is excited about his upcoming release, which has him attempting a family comedy. “There are very few directors who have been successful in this genre and Anees Bazmee [director] is one of them. My last film, Half Girlfriend (2017), was really intense. So, this film was something I really needed.”

The actor will be seen in a double role in the comedy. What makes the film all the more special is the fact that he is sharing screen space with chacha Anil Kapoor. “When a child goes to play with both his parents around, he can have fun without worrying about anything. The same holds true for the combination of Anil Kapoor and Anees Bazmee. I knew they had my back at all times. I had a blast working with Anil chachu, whose films I’ve grown up watching and still watch.”

Buzz is that Arjun has been approached for Namastey England, the sequel to Vipul Shah’s Namastey London (2007). Prod him on how he plans to fill Akshay Kumar’s shoes and he says, “I feel it’s always better to talk about a film once the producer has announced it. So, as of now, I’m only doing Dibakar’s film.”