ANUSHKA_SHARMA
Nayandeep Rakshit (DNA; June 30, 2017)

Actor-producer Anushka Sharma is venturing into daring, new spaces. But one hasn’t seen her do an out and out comedy. Although she displayed little sparks of her comic timing in films like Band Baaja Baaraat, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil and Phillauri, a full-fledged fun, comedy entertainer seems due from her.

She admits that the genre interests her, “Comedy is a very exciting and a difficult space. Either you have it or you don’t. Obviously, I would love to challenge myself. But it has to be in sync with my sensibilities. I won’t be able to do a mindless comedy. Leave that, I can’t do anything mindless.”

Where are the offers?
Anushka claims she has never been offered any comedy film yet, “Maybe, people don’t see that side in me. Also, we don’t see such great comedies being made. It’s rare.” However, she has her favourites. “I love films like Pineapple Express, that’s legendary. Then there’s This Is The End. I love such films because they are genuinely freaking funny.”

Waiting for the script
Anushka reveals that she was planning a comedy film as a producer, “There was a time when I was coming up with a comedy also. So, you never know, in the future, I might do something.” She explains why that didn’t work out, “We were working on something, which was just an idea for a comedy film. But then, you need to find the right writer and we couldn’t find the correct person for it then. Mindless comedies exist, but that’s not what interests me.”

That project will have to wait a bit as Anushka is currently shooting for her home production Pari and a film with Shah Rukh Khan is lined up post that.