Sonam Kapoor
Shilpi Sampad (MID-DAY; April 8, 2017)

"You remember the last scene in Neerja where we showed her ashes being scattered? I am at the same spot now,” exclaims Sonam Kapoor as we connect with her after the much acclaimed biopic on braveheart Neerja Bhanot bagged the Best Hindi Film honour. The actress, who is shooting for Akshay Kumar- tarrer Pad Man in Maheswar (Madhya Pradesh), also got a special mention for her performance in the gritty biopic.

Evidently overwhelmed by the news, Sonam admits she is “very shocked”. “Initially, I didn’t understand what the award was for. Then Anupam [Kher, actor] uncle told me he’d won it for Saaransh (1984) and Daddy (1990), and that the jury award is the most coveted honour. I am grateful to the Bhanots, (director) Ram Madhvani and team Neerja for believing in me.”

She believes the best way to celebrate is to work and says her family is ecstatic. “Dad (Anil Kapoor) has been my guiding light; he said he’ll accompany me to the awards function as my date.”