Avinash Lohana (MUMBAI MIRROR; April 27, 2017)

After directing a short film, Rice Plate, which featured Shabana Azmi, Naseeruddin Shah and Anup Soni and was a part of the 2007 anthology Dus Kahaniyaan, actor Rohit Roy will now helm a feature-length film for Sanjay Leela Bhansali as part of a three-film deal. The project is expected to roll in a few months.

“It’s a unique love story between a hit-woman and a non-violent professor. Sanjay sir gave me the script. We should lock it by June-July after which I’ll give him a final narration. I hope I live up to his faith,” says Rohit who’s been doing a recee of Girgaum where his protagonists live.

He’s simultaneously working on another love story set in Kashmir, which is also given by Bhansali. “But most probably the other film should start first,” informs the 48-year-old actor-director who was thrilled when SLB admitted to being impressed by his short film.

However, Rohit reveals that he became an actor by accident and sees himself directing in the future. “I remember Javed saab (Akhtar) telling me once that he had been waiting for the perfect script for years and told me to get started and hunt for one. Well, seems the wait is over,” Rohit, who was last seen in the Hrithik Roshan’s Kaabil, signs off.