Subhash K Jha (DNA; April 4, 2017)

Life goes on for Sunil Grover who returned to Mumbai on a triumphant note after a successful live show in Delhi with Kiku Sharda in tow. His popularity has in no way been dented by his split from Kapil Sharma and his show.

In fact, Grover’s dual avatars on the show, Dr Mashoor Gulati and Rinku Bhabhi were quite a hit with the Delhi crowds who thronged his show. Grateful for the “overwhelming support”, Sunil says, “We got a full house and an enthusiastic crowd. I can’t tell you how grateful I am for the love I’ve received.”

Admitting that he will have to rely on live shows for a while now, the comedian says, “I’ve always been attached to the idea of performing live. Now I am more convinced than ever that there is a lot to be explored in the live medium.”

Despite severing ties with TKSS, Sunil is hopeful of a return to television. “I haven’t given up television. In fact, I had a lot of fun shooting for the Indian Idol 9 finale this weekend."

His barb during the live show did not go unnoticed. Indirectly hinting at his public spat with Kapil, he said, “Kitna log dekh rahein hain yahaan par, warna chae-saat din se toh sirf media waley hi dekh rahey they.” Not just that, he also clicked a selfie with the crowd in the background, and promised to tweet it. “I will post this picture on Twitter tonight. Kabhi-kabhi achhi cheezein bhi daalni chahiye Twitter pe.”

He plays down the insinuations of getting back at Sharma with the show. He avers, “This show was planned long before the entire episode (the controversy with Kapil) happened. I’ve been performing live for years now. That won’t change.”