Actor Randeep Hooda on love, heartache and handling social media
Deebashree Mohanty (TIMES LIFE; March 12, 2017)

What is your mind space right now?
I'm good. Life is good. But I cannot say that I am content because, as an artiste, I can never be that. There are a few things to look forward to. My parents are moving in with me. Often, this is the time and age when children leave their parents' home. In my case, I've been a hosteller all my life and now it's time for me to “move in“ with my parents.

Have you ever felt betrayed?
Well, yes... Most of the times, you feel betrayed because you think the world is out there to get you. It isn't. Most of our betrayals are self-created. You could be less affected by people, and just move on.

Is that how you deal with heartbreak?
One has to have at least two passions if not more so that you can oscillate between those and always be busy. Even if you feel circumstantially let down by one, you can always turn to the other with vigour.

Was your break-up with Sushmita Sen particularly difficult?
Any break-up is difficult, especially if you have given it your all. But I don't like thinking about what could have been, and that has helped me to discover myself in the process.

Are you very conscious about your diet?
I used to be. But now, I have decided to let go and indulge in food and all the good things in life that I had missed out on. There is a famous saying, 'It's okay to let yourself go as long as you can get yourself back'. I am living by this.

Anything that you are indulging in?
I am a typical Haryanvi in that matter ­ just bring out the makhan (butter), paratha, halwa and beer and I am sorted.

You have this image of being very hardworking and yet very difficult to work with...
See, I expect a lot out of myself unfortunately. And that shouldn't be the case.This leads to expectations from other costars to work with the same kind of passion or sincerity. Conflicts are bound to happen in some setups. But if you ask me, I think I am a director's delight and a wonderful co-star.

Do you travel?
Can you believe it? I have never holidayed in my life ­ because I think my entire life is a holiday. I have this argument to give to people ­ that what are you holidaying from? Your life is an adventure in itself, isn't it? But during shoots, I prefer to take that off-the-beaten-path. Highway was a great holiday for me. The character was the most depressing one I have played till date, but the journey was worth remembering.

Are you an avid shopper?
No way. I may have a lot of clothes, but I still get accused of wearing the same clothes on consecutive days! The only thing I splurge on are horse equipment.

You are on the social media radar, what does it take to survive?
I am quite vocal about my thoughts and opinions. That's because I speak from the heart. I know where I am coming from and I speak with conviction.

Do you cook?
I can cook to survive but don't expect anything more. I can make daal. Sometimes, it doesn't turn out the way I had imagined but I can tell you the recipe for the perfect daal ­ add ketchup! Apart from lentils, I can make a decent egg curry (can't go wrong with eggs).

What is your relationship status?
My past experiences have taught me that the only meaningful relationship you can have, or the relationship that can last a lifetime, is with yourself. I have come to understand that the only thing that makes a relationship work for a lifetime is respect.

Do you want to find love, get married?
I have no absolutes. Why does one need to find love in the first place? We are in a different world. It's the Donald-isation era! 'Love' as a topic is going through a lot of change.