Enlarge Image
Subhash K Jha (DNA; February 13, 2014)

In a recent interview Alia Bhatt said, “I want to be directed by my dad, but I don’t think he will come out of retirement for me.” But her mother actress-director Soni Razdan has a script ready for her. However, Alia has no time for mom’s film. The doting protective mom, who has been following Alia’s acting career from the age of 9, doesn’t mind waiting.

Not too many know, Alia started her career as a child actor in Sangharsh where she played the younger version of Preity Zinta. After that, she was all set to start her career as a leading lady at the age of 11 when Sanjay Leela Bhansali wanted to cast her in Hamari Jaan Ho Tum, an adaptation of the Bengali classic Balika Badhu. She was supposed to play the child-bride. Laughs Alia, “I even auditioned for Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Black. It was always acting for me. I wanted to be an actor from the time I can remember. I’d sing and dance to my favourite songs. I used to be thoroughly obsessed with myself. I’ve became a little more evolved now.”

Alia feels she has grown as an actor with all her three films. “I hope I take away something from each of my films.” There is also a film with mom Soni Razdan on the anvil. “We’ve discussed a film she wants to direct me in. It will happen at the right time. Mom knows exactly what to want, when,” she says.