Imran Khan, Lekha, Zayn Marie (Pic/Instagram)

Imran Khan, girlfriend Lekha Washington and cousin Zayn Marie detained; trio later spotted at Crawford Market eatery posing for selfies with fans
Sachin Haralkar (MUMBAI MIRROR; October 11, 2026)

Actor Imran Khan, his girlfriend Lekha Washington and cousin Zayn Marie were detained by Mumbai Police at Nana Chowk on Saturday during protests against Chief Election Commissioner Gyanesh Kumar.

The three were taken away in a police van, which travelled towards Haji Ali before dropping them at Yellow Gate police station at 6.55 pm. They had been picked up around 5.25 pm.

At the police station, Khan insisted on seeing a warrant. Washington and Marie were seen arguing with police personnel. The trio then began walking away, but the police insisted they stay put.

After leaving the police station, Khan, Washington and Marie walked towards Manish Market, followed by two policemen. They then visited Gulshan-e-Iran restaurant near Crawford Market, where they drank juice and posed for selfies with fans and fellow diners.

Police personnel subsequently approached the trio and offered to drop them home. They declined the offer and attempted to book an Uber but were reportedly not allowed to do so. They eventually left in their own car.

Before being detained, Khan told news agency ANI that he was attending the protest as a citizen and was not associated with any organization.

“I don’t have demands. I am here as a citizen, as someone who lives in this city. I am here to see why freedom of movement is being restricted – why people’s voices are being suppressed. That is why I am here. I am not in a position to make demands of anyone. Nor am I part of any organization. I am just here as a representative,” he said.

Khan later took to Instagram to share a selfie from inside the police van, captioned, “Apparently I’m going for a drive.”

Marie also shared a video from inside the police van on social media, captioning it, “Ranjhore Ka Rathod???’ sooo close”. The reference was to Khan’s debut film, Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na, in which he played Jay Singh Rathore. The film features a memorable jail sequence involving his character.