Sheeba Chadha. Pic/Instagram

Priyanka Sharma (MID-DAY; September 21, 2026)

With a three-decade career in films behind her, Sheeba Chadha has seen Hindi cinema evolve in many ways. If there’s one evolution that particularly makes her happy, it’s the longevity of female actors’ careers.

“We have reached a place where we are writing characters for actresses after a certain age. I am in my mid-50s and happy to be getting the work that I get,” smiled Chadha, who, at 54, has many projects in her hand, including the ambitious Ramayana: Part 1.]

While there have been positive changes in Hindi films, the actor believes there is scope for improvement, especially when it comes to the portrayal of women. For instance, she is tired of the “suffering mother” archetype.

“We can do away with the long-suffering mother because we don’t want our moms to be doing that. My character, Vasudha, in Mirzapur: The Movie is a flawed mother. It’s not something I’d condone, but it’s interesting. I would like to see more of that.” 

Chadha also hopes the industry does away with the toxic male gaze. “We have a lot of that in our society. If films also start showing a toxic male gaze and retribution is not offered in them, it only fortifies that standpoint instead of destroying it.”