Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; August 31, 2026)

For nearly four decades, Dipika Chikhlia has been closely identified with one role that became far bigger than a career milestone. Her portrayal of Sita in Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan (1987-88) made her a household name. While it brought her immense love and respect, it also shaped the kind of work that came her way. Today, the actress is not looking to distance herself from Sita, but to be seen beyond it. She wants to take on strong, meaningful roles that offer her creative satisfaction.

She says, “I think everyone gets stuck in an image. It comes with popularity. No one is to blame. You just have to give yourself time and gradually people begin to accept change.”

While Ramayan was the turning point in her career, it also influenced the choices she made thereafter. She recalls, “I started with films, but after doing my first film, I realised I wasn’t comfortable with people seetee maaroing at me. They wanted me to wear swimming costumes and do glamorous roles, but that didn’t align with my interests. I kept praying that I would do work that earned me respect. Things fell into place magically and Ramayan happened. If I hadn’t played Sita, I would probably have been just another heroine of the late ’80s and early ’90s, and my career would have been completely different.”

‘I’m not going to call it a day until I get something meaningful’
The image she built through Sita remains something she values, but Dipika now wants it to coexist with a wider range of work.

She adds, “I’m not going to call it a day until I get something meaningful. I want strong, powerful roles. I am a good actor, just give me a chance. There are so many opportunities today for actresses between 50 and 70. We can do much more than just play mothers and grandmothers. I’m slowly adapting myself to today’s times. I just want filmmakers to see me differently too. Unfortunately, we don’t get offered artistically satisfying work. Industry people are experimenting, and I hope they start experimenting with me now.”

‘I don’t think I can do TV anymore’
Dipika is looking at films and OTT while ruling out the demanding schedule of daily television. She says, “I want to focus on films and OTT. I don’t think I can commit to television anymore because it is too time-consuming. I’ve received good offers, but working 22 days a month for 14 hours a day doesn’t work for me. I’ve never worked for money; I want creative satisfaction. I don’t want to reach the end of my career feeling that I played just one role and that’s what my life summarizes. I am far more.”