Dhirendra Mulkalwar. Pics/By Special Arrangement, Youtube

Komal RJ Panchal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; September 21, 2026)

For Dhirendra Mulkalwar, turning composer with Hanuman Ansh is nothing short of a divine experience. After composing nearly 500 jingles and working as a music producer on films, taking the leap into music direction with a film about spiritual guru Neeb Karori Baba — who Mulkalwar is a follower of — seemed fitting. Having created the film’s background score and composed Siyavar Ramchandra Ki Jai, he tells mid-day how surrendering to Neem Karoli Baba helped him find the movie’s melody. Excerpts from the interview.

What was the brief given to you for Hanuman Ansh’s music?
Neem Karoli Baba is a [renowned] figure. People across the world, including Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg, have spoken about his impact. So, as a music composer, the responsibility became huge because this film would not be limited to India; it would be seen all over the world. The good thing was that I surrendered myself to Babaji. It took me two-three months to crack the first theme. [Before that] I would try, reject, try again, but I was not happy [with the results]. Then, one day, I remembered Babaji. Within five to 10 minutes, the melody started floating. It was a divine experience for me. 

Did director Vishal Chaturvedi know you were a follower of Neeb Karori Baba, when he approached you?
No. When Vishalji asked me if I would compose the score, he had no idea about my connection with Babaji. He had undertaken a 43-day ritual before the film started, and I went there to perform the Hanuman Chalisa. When he asked me to do the film, I said yes in a fraction of a second. I also told him that I had gone to Chitrakoot a few months earlier after trying to visit it unsuccessfully for four years. I went in April, and by July, he had offered me a film on Babaji.

You worked as a music producer on other films. Why is Hanuman Ansh significant?
On those movies, I worked as a music producer. With Hanuman Ansh, I am the music director and have done the background score, so the roles are different. Seeing my name on the big screen as a music director has been a special moment for me. The fact that it happened with Babaji’s film makes it even more special.

How different was the experience of scoring for this movie?
Hanuman Ansh was made on a limited budget. We did not even have the budget for marketing or recording. So, I converted my house into a studio and conducted all the recordings at home. On earlier films, we could afford to go to an orchestra in Vienna, but here that wasn’t possible. I knew the challenges the makers were facing, so it became like a family. I took my friends’ help. We didn’t want to compromise on quality. 

Will you be scoring for Hanuman Ansh 2?
I don’t know of any official announcement. The first film is still running in theatres. Once that is complete, the team will discuss the sequel.