I was a little apprehensive initially about being a father in my 50s-Rajesh Khattar
3:41 PM
Posted by Fenil Seta
Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; August 21, 2026)
If becoming a parent in your 20s or 30s comes with its share of questions, embracing fatherhood in your 50s can bring an entirely different set of concerns. Rajesh Khattar admits he was initially apprehensive about having a child at that stage, but son Yuvaan has since changed the way he looks at fatherhood.
Recounting what went through his mind before becoming a father, Rajesh says, “Initially, I was apprehensive about being a father in my 50s. But looking at my wife’s (Vandana Sajnani Khattar) intense desire to be a mother, I left it to God’s will, and it surely was His will that we had Yuvaan. I have always believed that each child is born with their own destiny. Still, I feared about Yuvaan’s childhood and future, especially when I was hospitalised due to COVID while he was barely 18 months old. But his mere presence in my life made me realise the futility of worrying.”
Age, he believes, should not dictate when one can embrace a new chapter. He says, “Age is just a number. You are as old as you feel. Actors around my age are still doing leads, romancing heroines, getting married, remarried, so there you are.”
The difference age has made to his approach to fatherhood is evident in how he responds to situations involving his seven-year-old son. Having experienced fatherhood earlier with Ishaan Khatter, he says, “I am reliving fatherhood with him now. Whether one is a young father or an older father, the love and affection for your child remain the same. But with age, one gains patience and wisdom to understand your child’s psyche. As a young father, I was more reactive, whereas now I understand that certain situations don’t demand a reaction. I am also aware of how children change and evolve through different phases of childhood.”
That perspective has also shaped the way he views parenting and a child’s journey. He says, “One has to realise that your children are not race horses, life is not a Derby, and you as a parent are not the jockey. There is no finishing line to be crossed. Children are individuals, and it is fascinating to see them blossom into their own during their teenage years and adulthood. All I want is to give Yuvaan the best I can for as long as I am around.”
This entry was posted on October 4, 2009 at 12:14 pm, and is filed under
. Follow any responses to this post through RSS. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment