Milap Zaveri

Mohar Basu (MID-DAY; July 25, 2026)

Viewers today are looking beyond last names. That’s something director Milap Zaveri, who launched filmmaker Indra Kumar’s son Aman Kumar in Bollywood with Tera Yaar Hoon Main, is convinced about. “I believe people are lapping up talented youngsters today. If they are good, the audience accepts them. Star power alone is not why films work,” said Zaveri. 

Agreeing to launch Aman with the romantic comedy, which also stars Paresh Rawal and newcomer Akanksha Sharma, was a personal decision for Zaveri. Having collaborated with the senior Kumar over the years, he saw it as a way of giving back to his mentor.

“When Indu ji asked me if I would make this film and launch Aman, I immediately said yes. It was like guru dakshina for me. I had already seen Aman work on himself, watched his auditions and dance videos, and knew he had potential.” 

Tera Yaar Hoon Main has Zaveri admittedly more nervous than his last few releases. “The only thing I want is for people to come out saying that Aman and Akanksha are great,” he shared, before adding that he is confident about the material. The movie revolves around an unusual bond where a father helps the young man who is in love with his daughter.

“I describe it as a reverse Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge [1995]. Here, the heroine’s father and the hero become friends, and he is trying to balance protecting his daughter while helping the boy he cares for.”