Malavika Mohanan takes on trolls in recent Twitter interaction

Masumi Shah (BANGALORE TIMES; October 19, 2024)

After establishing herself in the Tamil and Malayalam film industries, giving Bollywood a shot felt “natural and right,” Malavika Mohanan tells us during a recent interaction. From Majid Majidi’s Beyond The Clouds and the Tamil hit Master to her Bollywood debut Yudhra, Malavika says she’s all for diversifying her portfolio, whether in terms of language or genre.

‘OTT, SOCIAL MEDIA HAVE MADE REGIONAL CONTENT ACCESSIBLE’
“I have worked in some big films in the south, but I was waiting for the right offer to enter Bollywood. Working with Siddhant (Chaturvedi), Farhan Akhtar (producer), and Ravi Udyawar (director) was an opportunity I didn’t want to miss,” Malavika says, that being established in one industry makes it easier to receive good offers in another.

“The boundaries between languages and industries have blurred significantly. If you’ve done a good job in a Tamil or Telugu film, it’s reaching audiences everywhere. So, you can now collaborate with great filmmakers across the board. Thanks to OTT platforms and social media, well-made films are no longer confined to the regions they originate from.”

‘LOVE ACTION PACKED ROLES’
Malavika’s filmography includes several action films, one of her favourite genres. “I love doing action. Initially, it is very challenging to get the technical aspects right, but once you learn the nuances, it is fun. I’ve done my fair share of action, so now my friends call me the ‘female Bruce Lee’ (laughs). I prefer this over standing delicately next to a hero while he’s beating everyone up. Why should boys have all the fun, right?”

On exploring OTT
While opting to do OTT projects has become a rite of passage for actors today, Malavika hasn’t made the switch yet, though she’s open to the idea. “Exploring OTT depends on the project, who’s directing it, what the role is like, etc. For the last couple of years, I’ve been so busy with feature films that I haven’t had time to explore other mediums, but it might happen if the right opportunity comes along.”

‘I stay away from misogynistic scripts’
The actress says, “I don’t opt for narratives in which women are treated in a misogynistic way. I’m mindful of the characters I choose and prefer roles where women have agency, and are portrayed in a positive light.”

‘My parents let me figure things out on my own’
Malavika’s father is a renowned cinematographer (K U Mohanan), but she says he doesn’t interfere with her choices. “My parents come from a school of thought where they tell me, ‘You do you.’ They never pull me away from what I do want to do. They’re very liberal, and let me figure things out on my own.”