Bobby Deol: ‘Playing dark roles doesn’t affect me’

Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; September 3, 2024)

After a lean phase that lasted for many years, Bobby Deol made a comeback with a bang. The actor made his way back to the spotlight with his work on OTT, like Class of ’83, Love Hostel and Aashram, for which he won a lot of appreciation. While he was thrilled about his new innings on OTT, the actor was always yearning to make a grand re-entry on the big screen. Of course, then Animal changed the course of his career.

“Every actor’s dream is to be seen on the silver screen. The magic of the silver screen is unmatched. I wonder what kind of impact a show like Aashram would have had if it was a theatrical film. Wherever I go, people still talk to me about the show and about my characters in Love Hostel and Animal. In fact, there was chatter about how the audience wanted to see spin-offs of my roles from these two projects. The audience’s desire to watch more of me is what I have always craved for as an actor,” Bobby says.

‘When an individual’s self-belief is strong, they attract the right people’
Ask Bobby whether he has decoded the secret behind his recent success and the exciting roles he is being offered, and he says, “There is no answer to that. I feel that when an individual’s self-belief is strong and when they are positive and focused, they create a kind of energy that attracts the right people. I believe that is happening to me. But I must also acknowledge that my fans have always been there for me. They have supported me right from the time I started my career. Today, I know how happy they are for me... it’s amazing.”

‘Life was more private back in the day’
While he’s kicked about the way the audience is accepting him in various roles in this phase of his career, he misses the kind of privacy and calm actors enjoyed back in the day. Bobby, who will soon be seen in Tamil film Kanguva, explains, “Earlier, actors could keep their lives private. Now you can’t do that (laughs). Every individual needs their personal space, but today, it is difficult for actors to have any privacy.”