Vinay MR Mishra (BOMBAY TIMES; July 25, 2024)

Actor Sidharth Malhotra started his career as an actor in 2012 with the hit flick Student Of The Year, however, a few reports including portals online suggest that the actor kickstarted his career as an actor through television. As per a few online reports, Sidharth appeared in 2006, as Jaichand in the historical show Dharti Ka Veer Yodha – Prithviraj Chauhan. Recently, when we got a chance to speak to Sidharth, he addressed the rumours.

“I would like to break that myth. It (started) on a website where anybody can write anywhere. So people don't authenticate things on their website. I've also heard that. My journey started with doing a small print ad in Delhi, then doing fashion shows, then doing auditions for ads. I did a talcum powder ad for the first time. I auditioned for a few more. So, I didn't go in through the television route. Then I became an assistant director (he assisted Karan Johar on the sets of My Name Is Khan). So, I took more of the behind-the-camera route as opposed to TV,” Sidharth clarifies.

As the actor briefly goes down memory lane, he also acknowledges that he brings value to the table. "As a Delhi boy, as an outsider who's come to do the business, there is some value to you, there is an awareness to your brand value. It took me back to those days when I was thinking whether I should come to Mumbai, knowing how my family is disconnected from the movies, is it even possible? But it is surreal,” he admits.

Thus, Sidharth is extremely critical while associating with movies and also brands. “The attempt is always to ask questions to the brand. What is it? Why did they start? What is the intent? Do they believe in quality or are they trying to just create something? For me, the intent and that energy is very important. That's what I've done with all the brands that I've associated with as much as I can. Being an actor, you don't have control over things when you associate with a brand, all you can do is be a great cheerleader and supporter,” he explains.

While he is currently contemplating his next, Sidharth in the meantime, hopes for a sci-fi film. “We should make films of that stature and that look. In the recent years have not really pushed the boundaries of a massive world which is futuristic. There are very few films which have been made that talk about 50 years ahead. It requires a lot of creativity, and a lot of hard work in terms of VFX. It will be cool to have a film which is in 2070,” he concludes.