I AM ALWAYS  HAPPY TO BE AWAY FROM THE LIMELIGHT: KARISMA

Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; July 2, 2024)

From working multiple shifts and doing films back-to-back to now – where there’s a certain calm and ease in her life, and she’s not chasing films, numbers, or more success – Karisma Kapoor is enjoying this phase of her career. It’s not that her passion for cinema is any less than it was, but now she only wants to take up work that helps her grow as an artiste.

The actress, who was recently featured in the OTT film ‘Murder Mubarak’, will soon be seen as a celebrity judge on ‘India’s Best Dancer 4’. In a chat with BT, Karisma talks about her career choices and why she prefers to stay away from the limelight.

‘This generation of actors is far luckier’
The general belief is that the emergence of OTT has given actresses leverage that wasn’t enjoyed by their ilk in the past. However, Karisma says, “If I may say so, I have been fortunate to headline projects at a time when hero-centric films dominated the industry. I have been part of heroine-oriented movies like ‘Biwi No.1’ (1999), ‘Fiza’ (2000), ‘Zubeidaa’ (2001) and ‘Shakti: The Power’ (2002). Yes, such opportunities may have been few and far between, as compared to today with the rise of OTT platforms. This generation of actors is, of course, far luckier.”

‘It has always been about being recognized as a good artiste’
Karisma has always believed in striking a balance between commercial and offbeat cinema. However, it came with its set of challenges. She recalls, “I was dissuaded by my well-wishers. In those days, it was called parallel cinema, art film, or art-house films.”

She adds, “Of course, being in the top position and delivering hit films was part of the game. But for me, it was always about being recognized as a good artiste. This is why, at the peak of my career, when I was delivering blockbusters with top actors, directors and producers, I chose to do these films (‘Fiza’ and ‘Zubeidaa’) because they satisfied something within me. It also validated the fact that you can be at the top of your game in commercial cinema and also do alternative cinema. So, if I have contributed a little in showing the path, I am happy and grateful.”

‘I will be my authentic self on the show’
While Karisma has been making guest appearances on reality shows, she has avoided being on any judges’ panel full-time in the past few years. She shares, “I have been offered several dance reality shows over the years, but I always preferred attending special episodes, having fun, and going home. However, things changed with ‘India's Best Dancer’. I had appeared as a guest on the show in the previous two seasons and loved its ethos and energy.”

Ask her about the trend of highlighting sob stories to boost ratings, and the Bollywood diva replies, “I have always ensured that I am real and honest even when attending these shows as a guest judge. I have maintained that authenticity as a person and actor. So, I will stick to being my authentic self on the show and bring my own flavour and positivity.”

‘I don’t plan anything, so I don’t feel that pressure’
Karisma appreciates the positive shift in how the industry and the audience view actresses who return to work after a break, noting that tags like ‘comeback’ and ‘hiatus’ are no longer prevalent. “I am so glad that times have changed for the better in so many ways. People’s thoughts have changed,” she says, adding, “As I have always said, taking a break was a choice I made. I was happy being away from the limelight, and I am always happy to be away from the limelight – that’s just my nature, even though I am an actress. If you ask me what’s next, my answer is that I really don’t know. I don’t plan things, so I don’t feel that pressure. Maybe I will act again, maybe I won’t. That’s the way I want to work, and I am happy doing that.”