‘Like a brother’: Akshay Kumar sends ₹25 lakh to  Punjabi singer  Glory Bawa

Akshi Sharma (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 8, 2024)

Just a few days after Glory Bawa, daughter of late Punjabi folk singer and Padma Bhushan awardee Gurmeet Bawa, sought help from the government and shared her financial ordeal on social media, actor Akshay Kumar sent her Rs. 25 lakh to tide over the crises.

“I don’t have words to explain what it means to me,” says Glory, who was touched by her “brother”, Akshay’s gesture. “He refused to call it help. He said it’s something a brother would do for his sister,” she adds.

Ask if the money would end her financial struggle, and Glory says, “It will definitely help me and my family. But I want work, and I’ve been asking for it. People have started reaching out to me, and I hope I find something substantial to do.”

Talking about it, Akshay says, “I got to know of this on social media. Bahut dukh hua ki Gurmeet Bawa ji, jo Punjab ki shaan thi, unke pariwar ko aaj itni financial problems hain. Maine unki beti, Glory Bawa, ko apni behen samajh ke ek pyaar ka gesture bheja hai. Yeh koi help nahin hai, ek Punjabi aur ek artiste hone ke naate mera farz hai.”

‘Like a brother’: Akshay Kumar sends ₹25 lakh to  Punjabi singer  Glory Bawa