A kid changes your life path,  not vice versa: Sakshi Tanwar

From playing an ideal bahu in ‘Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii’ and a timid mom in ‘Dangal’ to essaying the role of a nurse who ruthlessly avenges her daughter’s murder in ‘Mai’, Sakshi Tanwar has made a mark with her performances on the small and big screen. The Rajasthan-born actor, who is single, embraced motherhood by adopting a baby girl in 2018. She spoke to Neha Bhayana about working-mom guilt, tantrums and her parenting mantra
Neha Bhayana (THE TIMES OF INDIA; July 7, 2024)

Being a mom on screen versus being a mom in real life — which is tougher, according to you?
Being a mom on screen is like a cakewalk. You have a script to follow, and you know every single scene that plays out. There are no surprises. In reality, however, there are only surprises, and every day is a new scene and a new script. No matter how many parenting books you read and how many fellow mommies’ advice you take, you are never prepared enough.

Your daughter Ditya is six now. Does she still keep you on your toes?
Yes, in fact, she keeps me more on my toes now than ever before. She is growing up fast and the responsibilities and efforts are increasing proportionately. She wants my involvement in everything. I try to be there for her as much as I can, barring the time I am shooting. That’s when my family steps in and takes over.

What, according to you, is the best part of being a parent? What is the toughest part?
The best part is that you are the centre of the universe for your child. For everything, the go-to person is mumma. You get so much unconditional love. The hugs and cuddles, the non-stop innocent conversations and millions of things bring unmatched joy every day. The toughest part is to find the balance between how much to control and how much to let them be. There is no right or wrong and every parent has a different way of raising the child, but we start comparing and that’s when all balance goes out of the window. I wish we could all be happy with the fact that each child is unique and will eventually be where he or she is supposed to be. Another tough part is to deal with the guilt of not being there when you are working although I still make an effort to be there as much as I can. Also, there are day-to-day challenges that one has to face and immediately find a solution to.

Parenting can get overwhelming even for a couple. Did you face any challenges as a single mom?
Parenting is not easy for anyone. I face the same challenges that every parent does and some more, especially when I am working. But I have an extra supportive family and they are always there to help me out with any situation. I am also fortunate to have very helpful neighbours and friends. My daughter is very comfortable with them. So, I manage between family, neighbours and nannies. It actually takes an entire set of people to bring up a kid — every parent will agree with this. Every day, there is a new challenge, and you keep learning and growing as you try to deal with it, with or without support.

Strict or soft — what’s your parenting style?
A mix of both. I have to play both good cop and bad cop, sometimes at the same time. Different situations require different ways to handle it. So, it’s different each time.

Do tears melt you instantly or are you tough when it comes to dealing with tantrums?
Ditya doesn’t throw tantrums as such. She is a very content child and a very sorted one. So, when she has tears in her eyes, I can’t take it because it means genuine discomfort or hurt.

Is your parenting style similar to that of your parents? What values did they instill which you hope to teach your daughter too?
Yes, my parenting style is similar to that of my parents to quite an extent. Because that’s what I have learnt while growing up. My parents taught me to be grounded no matter how successful I become. I hope I can pass that value on to Ditya. Honestly, if you ask me, there are things that I need to learn from Ditya and I really hope I do.

What do you and Ditya like to do in your free time? Any favourite books or activities?
She loves to pretend play all the time so it’s mostly that activity. She loves listening to songs and we sing along. We also record songs. She also loves when I read story books to her. These days she is hooked to ‘The Magic Finger’ by Roald Dahl. But above all she loves her garden time and spends almost two hours every evening in the garden.

Screen addiction is a huge concern among parents these days. You mentioned in an interview that at the age of four, Ditya did not know about superheroes as she had not watched cartoons. Are you still strict about screen time?
Yes, I still am. But I have started showing her a few cartoons and we have also seen some children’s films. I realized screen content makes up for a lot of their conversations with friends. I realized she and I both have nothing to contribute when screen content is being discussed in our social circle. I am trying to change that, at least for her.

Are you a conservative mom or a cool one? What if little Ditya wants to get a tattoo when she grows up?
I am a mix of both, but more on the conservative side. But I think I will let her get the tattoo.

Do you think modern parents are too involved in their kids’ lives?
Yes, we are too involved. We were brought up very differently. My mom would say “tumse ek nahi sambhala ja raha humne teen teen sambhaal liye aur humne itna kuchh kiya bhi nahi jitna tum karte ho. (You can’t handle one while we took care of three kids without taking as much trouble as you do).” I don’t think my mom ever came to the school for any parent-teacher meeting. I don’t know how they did it, but it was too cool. May be times were different. There are too many expectations from parents now as compared to before. Even schools expect parents to be involved in everything. I see parents doing so much that it makes me feel uncomfortable because I want to find a balance and a viable equation as to how much I should be involved. After all, no matter how much you do it’s never going to be enough.

What’s your parenting mantra? Who has inspired or influenced your choices as a parent?
I have always looked up to my mom for everything. She used to help me in all aspects of parenting and upbringing. I used to just follow her advice in everything. Now that mom is no more, I let Ditya guide me. The only mantra is that each child is unique and has his or her own path. You can’t actually decide anything for anyone. But as parents we think it’s our moral responsibility to shape our kid’s life as per the given norms. I make that mistake too, sometimes, but that’s what I am working on. A kid comes to change your life path and not vice versa. If only we would accept and follow it … parenting would be a lot easier!

Did playing the mom of a teenager in ‘Sharmajee Ki Beti’ make you concerned about how you will deal with tantrums when your daughter is a teen? Did you relate to the struggles of your character as you too are a working mom?
Tantrums are always a concern, no matter what the age is. I have seen kids rolling on the floor in a mall for something they want and parents not agreeing to their demands. But I have heard teenage tantrums are something else only. My character Jyoti is a working mom to a teenage girl. She is caught between her own dreams and her duties as a mother. She has a lovely family and a very supportive husband, but she is also always struggling with the tantrums and expectations of her daughter. She is also guilty of not being able to give enough time to her daughter. It’s a very common scenario and a lot of working moms will identify and relate to it. Tahira Kashyap Khurrana has beautifully penned this character and directed it with so much sensitivity and humour that it makes a place in your heart immediately. So far, I have been lucky that I haven’t dealt with any tantrums as such with Ditya. And I hope I continue to be lucky in this even when Ditya is a teen.

I do relate to the struggles of a working mom though I am a very different type of working mom. I don’t go to work every day and I can plan my shoot timings as per her need. I take up one project which goes on for a month or two and then I am totally free and available for my daughter. So, I am a mix of a working and non-working mother.