Hopefully, third time’s the charm: Saiyami on Ironman

Akash Bhatnagar (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 4, 2024)

Actor Saiyami Kher first tried to attempt the gruelling Ironman triathlon in 2020. However, while she was fully trained, Covid hit and the race got cancelled. In 2023, she aimed to do it again in New Zealand, but she met with an accident. This September, in Germany, she’ll be giving it a third try. “Hopefully, third time’s the charm,” she says.

The prep for the race, which includes cycling, swimming and running, is quite demanding, but Kher is giving it her all. “I am already in my six-month training. Unfortunately, in Mumbai, there are no roads left to cycle on as everything is dug up. So, I have got an indoor training cycle at home. I have also got a treadmill. Swimming training becomes a challenge as I can’t get tanned, so I have to go to the pool at 5 in the morning,” shares Kher, adding that on some weekends, she also travels to Nashik to practise swimming in open water, where she has access to a lake.

The 31-year-old is required to put in 14-15 hours of training every week. “I love listening to (singers) Mohammed Rafi and Kishore Kumar’s old songs when I run. But in Ironman training, you are not allowed to listen to music. So, it’s even more challenging. It’s eight hours with yourself, and all your fears, anxieties and thoughts come out during this time, as you are all alone,” she signs off.