Should have informed the fans: Divyenndu on leaving Mirzapur

Yashika Mathur (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 2, 2024)

Actor Divyenndu built a dedicated fan base for himself when he starred as Munna Tripathi in the popular OTT series Mirzapur. However, he recently broke his fans’ hearts by revealing that he wouldn’t be returning for the upcoming third season. His character was killed in season 2, yet the audience was expecting some twist for his return.

“I feel it was my responsibility. I was meeting people, and they were all saying, ‘We are waiting for season 3.’ [Because I didn’t inform them otherwise], I felt this gave them the false hope that Munna would be returning in season 3,” says Divyenndu. 

The 40-year-old, who recently received praise for his role as Dodo in the series Madgaon Express, shared that he had pre-empted the fate of his character long ago: “But I felt very happy for Munna because there was a beautiful arc to the character, showing how he became responsible, loving and stood up for his wife. In season 1, he was really brash, and people worshipped him. I am happy that I could balance that craziness with some sweetness and tenderness. Amid all the filmy elements, guns blazing and style, it’s important to show the audience these aspects. I felt that if you have to go, you should go out on a high note, and that’s exactly what happened.”