AI perfectly imitates my  voice, which is what I want  to prevent: Kumar Sanu

The singer, who is seeking legal protection against AI voice cloning, wants his voice patented
Debarati S Sen (BOMBAY TIMES; June 27, 2024)

Following in the footsteps of celebrities like Amitabh Bachchan, Anil Kapoor and Jackie Shroff, now Kumar Sanu is seeking legal assistance against the misuse of AI voice duplication. Sanu spoke to the Bombay Times and expressed his concerns about AI voice cloning and how all singers should safeguard their vocal rights.

“I am seeking legal protection against AI voice cloning. I want my voice patented, and so I have begun the legal process to get it done. In fact, I had been thinking of doing this for a while, and now I have taken a concrete step. I believe that AI kaafi hadd tak khatarnak hai, but also AI ke wajah se sahuliyat bhi hai. I am getting my voice copyrighted,” the singer said.

Sanu emphasized that his colleagues in the music industry should also consider taking similar steps. “Actors like Amitabh Bachchan, Anil Kapoor, and Jackie Shroff have already done this. AI ka zamana hai, it is everywhere and in everything. I have heard some songs that have been made using AI that sound exactly like me… perfect nakal ki hai meri. That is what I want to prevent,” he said.

In recent times, AI has also been used to recreate the voices of legendary singers like Mohammed Rafi and Kishore Kumar. Sanu says, “This is totally wrong. If you want to listen to legendary singers, you can just pick up their recordings and hear them. Why do you need to replicate their voice using AI? Why not listen to the original? Nothing can beat that. They will always be alive in the songs they have already sung. We don’t need AI to recreate their voices,” he asserted.

When asked about other details and legal proceedings Sanu refused to comment saying, "I can't talk about all this."