ZEENAT
STANDS FIRM:
I’VE NEVER
TORN DOWN
COLLEAGUES

Veterans clash over the topic of live-in relationships; Zeenat Aman advocates it, while Mumtaz says Zeenat ’should be the last person doling out advice on relationships’
HINDUSTAN TIMES (April 17, 2024)

The actor told Zoom: “Zeenat has all of a sudden come into this huge social media popularity, and I can understand her excitement about sounding like a cool aunty. But giving advice that is counter to our moral values is not the solution to increasing your following. Aap Zeenat ko hi le lo misaal ke taur par… She knew Mazhar Khan (late actor) for years before marrying him. Her marriage was a living hell. She should be the last person doling out advice on relationships.”

Zeenat Aman said, "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I’ve never been one to comment on others personal lives or tear down my colleagues, and I’m not going to start now."

WHAT EXACTLY DID ZEENAT SAY?
The actor wrote on Insta: If you’re in a relationship, I strongly recommend that you LIVE TOGETHER before getting married! This is the same advice I’ve always given my sons, both of whom have had, or are in, a live-in relationship. It just seems logical to me that before two people get their families and the government involved in their equation, they first put their relationship to the ultimate test. It’s easy to be the best version of yourself for a few hours a day. But can you share a bathroom? Weather the storm of a bad mood? Agree on what to eat for dinner every night? Keep the fire alive in the bedroom?... I’m aware that Indian society is a little uptight about “living in sin” but then again, society is uptight about so many things!
--------------------------------------------------
We spoke to yesteryear actor Saira Banu: “I am not reading much... but we are old-fashioned people. Our trend is 40-50 saal pehle ka. Iss baat se (live-in) main toh sehmat nahi ho sakti hoon kabhi bhi. I’d never advocate live-in. It’s unimaginable and unacceptable for me.”