‘it took me years to realise that  I’m not a buffet’

She’s not a buffet, but a ‘specialty restaurant’, says actor Taapsee Pannu, asserting that a lot has changed — both in her sartorial choices and onscreen roles — since she first ventured into acting
Monika Rawal Kukreja (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 28, 2024)

Taapsee Pannu is in a “very happy, content and satisfied” place in life, both personally and professionally. With a string of meaningful films to her credit that strengthened her position in the film industry, and having turned producer, Pannu has had a great run so far. Her last release, Dunki (2023) where she played Shah Rukh Khan’s love interest, helped her up her game. However, the actor asserts it’s not a very easy place to be in. Why? “The kind of films I’ve done so far have been so diverse that it’s very difficult and challenging to choose what to do next,” she quips.

She explains, “Today, everyone is making an action, spy world; I did that in the beginning of my career with Baby (2015) and Naam Shabana (2017). When people think of playing a shrewd antagonist, I already did that in Badla (2019). When you think of playing someone totally out of my skin, I did that in Saand Ki Aankh (2019). Talk of grey shades and I’ve done that in Manmarziyaan (2018) and Haseen Dillruba (2021). I’ve done sports films with Rashmi Rocket (2021) and Shabaash Mithu (2022). I’ve done murder mysteries, time zone thrillers, horror and biopics. So, a lot of these conventional genres have been so easily ticked away.”

That being said, the 36-year-old is enjoying this moment, and asserts that this “weird space” she is in, comes out of a place of contentment. “I’m at a position where I feel I’ve done quite a bit, I worked really hard and did everything by my own merit, so my success is not a fluke. I consistently pushed myself,” says Pannu, who has three projects — Woh Ladki Hai Kahaan, Phir Aayi Haseen Dillruba and Khel Khel Mein — eyeing a release this year.

It’s not only on the work front where Pannu has tread carefully before being so spoilt for choice that she’s now taking her time to decide what to take up next. Recalling her initial days in the industry when she was trying to fit in, the actor confesses she made some “horrible fashion blunders”. And it took her time to understand her true personality.

“I’m not a fashion conscious person, so I relied on a lot of people who I thought are good at their job and will dress me up in a way that suits me. So, submitting myself blindly to them backfired in the beginning of my career. I accept and own up those mistakes,” Pannu shares, admitting that it took her a while to find her own ground.

“When you are new, you want to ensure you are a mix of glam and bossy; that you are as Indian as it can get and you can look equally hot and nice in a bikini. Basically, you are becoming a buffet. I was also trying to do that. But, it took me years to realize that I’m not a buffet. I am a specialty restaurant, and I’m going to make sure that remain an acquired taste, which is not everybody’s cup of tea. It did take time to realize and accept that it’s okay to not be that aaloo that fits into every meal,” she chuckles.

Did anyone advise you otherwise while naming your production house Outsider Films?
I don’t have those kind of people around me who are unaware of the fact that I have never gotten things without taking risks. I have thrived on the risks that I have taken, and I weigh my pros and cons clearly. Also, people around me are very careful about what advice they give me because I can ask for a why or why not, and I’d expect a logical answer to it.

How would you describe your style?
It’s classic with a mix of being proper. I don’t like the word boss vibe. Chic mixed with edgy is what I identify with. It won’t be shabby or be street style, but it’ll be a very semi-formal to formal vibe, which gives a little bit of authority in the personality.

You had two wedding ceremonies — Indian and danish. Tell us about the outfits you picked
I’ve grown up seeing Sikh, Gurudwara weddings, so for me, the classic idea of getting married was always in a red salwar kameez with a dupatta with kinari on the border. My college friend, Mani Bhatia designed all my outfits. For the haldi, I wore a vintage Punjabi style of lungi, with floral accessory. For sangeet, I had worn bell bottom styled pants with bling work on the top and jacket. For the wedding, I wore traditional Punjabi saggi phull, it’s the head accessory, along with a light necklace and earrings that my grandmother gave to my mum at her wedding.

For my Danish wedding outfit, I went to Copenhagen to this designer called Lasse Spangenberg; and in five days, I got my entire gown, veil, bird cage and everything. Following the Danish tradition for the D-Day, I wore a ‘new’ gown, an ‘old’ pair of heels from my closet, I ‘borrowed’ pearl earrings from my stylist Devki, and on the veil, I had gotten important dates of our relationship embroidered in ‘blue’ colour.

10 years and counting...
Reflecting on the last one decade that she has spent “jumping from one film to another”, Pannu has no qualms in admitting that this is a much-deserved position to be in. “I need to sit back, enjoy, relax and rejuvenate, and then come back with something that’s going to challenge me further. Though it’s not so easy because I’ve been in that momentum of just pushing myself every single day. And when you suddenly put that stop to me, it’s very difficult to come to terms with it.”