Sharad: Don’t know what is stopping the industry from casting me in bigger roles?

Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 6, 2024)

Actor Sharad Kelkar’s ability to shine in any role, regardless of its duration, has been evident throughout his career. Whether in Laxmii (2020) or Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior (2020), where he wasn’t in the lead role, Kelkar managed to leave a lasting impression.

Talking about his desire for meatier roles, the 47-year-old actor says, “There are a lot of actors who might be better than me and could have done a better job. But the luck factor comes in... I am lucky I got those roles. In comparison, in length, they were smaller... I don’t know why the industry doesn’t understand. I don’t know what is stopping them from casting me in a bigger, better role. Maybe they have some extra business sense. I don’t know the reason behind it.”

Despite his uncertainty, Kelkar, who was recently seen in Indian Police Force, remains optimistic: “I am a very positive guy; I am just waiting for my turn. I don’t (always) say that I am a very good actor, but I (always say that) I am a very hardworking actor... I never give up; that’s the attitude I carry. I am waiting for that one day when people will believe in me.”

Kelkar finds satisfaction in the appreciation he receives from audiences, indicating that the impact his characters have on viewers motivates him to take on challenging roles. “You do your job, and if people appreciate it, it gives you another motivation to take on another challenging role. I take up roles like that,” he ends.