‘SLOWING DOWN ALLOWS ME TIME FOR INTROSPECTION’

Mrunal Thakur feels regular breaks are essential to upskill as an artiste and make ‘thoughtful choices’
Mimansa Shekhar (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 29, 2024)

Mrunal Thakur has had a busy few months. With six releases in 2023 alone, the actor acknowledges the importance of taking timely breaks from work. She tells us, “I have been working non-stop over the past two years. There are days when I’m craving a sound sleep in my own bed!”

This is perhaps why the Jersey (2022) actor recently took time off and visited a lake town near Mumbai with her family. “A vacation is definitely a luxury at the moment. But, it is important to take small breaks and for me, family precedes all. I cannot put a value on the time I spend with them,” says the 31-year-old, who believes “slowing down should be a key part of an actor’s life”.

She elaborates, “Taking a step back from the relentless pace of the industry gives me the opportunity to work on my skills, make thoughtful choices and deliver more nuanced performances. Otherwise, in a rush, you could make incorrect decisions. Slowing down allows me time for introspection.”

However, this does not have to be at the cost of work — and Thakur is a prime example of that. In the last year alone, she was seen in projects such as Gumraah, Lust Stories 2, Aankh Micholi, Pippa and Hi Nanna. Looking back, she shares, “I got to do one unique genre after another. It was a year of extreme challenges.”

When it comes to experimenting and challenging herself, Thakur says she has only just begun. For instance, her next project, Pooja Meri Jaan, reportedly touches upon the issue of stalking. “It’s a unique experience for me. I consider it an important subject that the audiences may resonate with,” says the actor, who has worked across genres, languages and mediums over the past decade.

Having made a switch from television to now films and OTT, Thakur is of the opinion that content, and not the medium, should drive one’s decisions. She adds, “There’s no difference in the portrayal of a character [ across mediums]. They are just ways to reach a wider audience.”