‘WE ARE BOTH  IMPULSIVE, WE COULD GET MARRIED TOMORROW’

Vinay MR Mishra (BOMBAY TIMES; February 13, 2024)

"It is celebration of love,” says Prateik Patil Babbar, when asked what Valentine’s Day means to him and now his fiancée-actress Priya Banerjee. For their first interview together, since their engagement in November last year, the couple, shot on the streets of Mumbai, as this is the city where they fell in love. They spoke to us about their love story and their idea of romance.

It's your first Valentine’s Day as an engaged couple, how does it feel?
Prateik: We have butterflies in our stomachs, it’s all exciting. It is going to feel like a mature Valentine’s Day. We are engaged now, so it is exciting.
Priya: We are engaged and now our families are involved. So, it is very special. I always thought that dating, engagement or wedding wouldn’t change much, but that’s a lie. Trust me, when there is a ring on your finger, things change.

Tell me about the proposal, how did that unfold?
Priya: Last year, on November 26, he proposed to me. I wasn’t expecting it. It was about 8 am, I was still in bed and just about waking up. He went down on one knee at the side of the bed and started staring at me, and I was like, ‘What are you doing?’ I could see that he had tears in his eyes. Then he said a lot of things, which honestly in that moment, I couldn't process. But the only thing I remember is him asking me, ‘Will you, Priya Banerjee, marry me? And since I didn’t know how to react, I was like, ‘Hain?’ (laughs).
Prateik: She said yes, and then I put a ring on her finger. Also, I did it the proper way. I asked her parents for permission. I called them a day earlier and asked for their daughter’s hand in marriage. They were thrilled about it.

So, now when will the wedding bells ring?
Priya: The kind of people we are, it could happen tomorrow, or it could happen in five years. We are both very impulsive. We have spoken about it, and we are ready for it. So, hereon, it could be any minute.
Prateik: Having said that, we do want to focus on work.
Priya: We do want to feel like we've done substantial amount of credible work to go with that feeling of togetherness. Our work is always going to be a priority. We're both extremely ambitious people. Everything else just falls in place for us like we know that nothing else.
Prateik: Not that we haven't already, but it just, it feels like we need to achieve a little bit more to take that step.

What made you feel that he/she is the one?
Prateik: We fit like hand in glove. We have so many things in common. We love the same kind of films, shows and food.
Priya: We're both extremely similar and different people. We know when to apologize and when to end an argument, which I think in today's generation, a lot of couples have a problem with. They let the ego come in. I'm not saying we are a perfect couple. We have our differences, but at the same time there is compatibility and a lot of mutual respect. People think that when you get in a relationship it's all going to be nice, with flowers and candies. No, you're going to have to put in hard work. You need to understand each other at your lowest. You have to be each other's strength and you have to push each other, especially in the industry that we're in, because our work can pull us down. So, Prateik is my rock. He has supported me even more than my family.
Prateik: You have to stick through. Relationships are work. She is extremely loving and caring and she knows how to keep her home happy. That's what every man looks for.

Did you think you will fall in love with each other?
Priya: He is my first love. I've never fallen in love before. He is actually the first love of my life. I used to be very frivolous growing up. I never had a very positive outlook towards relationships. But then I met him, and he changed that about me. I was very scared of marriage commitment. But now I want to be married to him and I never felt that ever before.
Prateik: When we first kissed, I knew it. It was game over after that. We both knew in that moment. We took a breath and we looked at each other in that moment and we knew this is a problem.