OTT makers still say TV actor ko nahin lena: Tina  Datta
Navya Kharbanda (HINDUSTAN TIMES; February 7, 2024)

After making a name for herself on television, Tina Datta is now looking forward to exploring other mediums. The actor tells us, “I really want to experiment and am already in talks for two web projects. I am a workaholic and mujhe ghar par baithna accha nahi lagta.”.

This shift from TV to another medium, however, is far from easy. Datta explains, “It’s very difficult to switch or portray another character when people have already seen you in a sati savitri bahu role for years. For me, too, it’s going to be tough.”

While one would think that the ‘TV actor’ label is a thing of the past, the Hum Rahe Na Rahe Hum actor says the stereotype still lingers and continues to hinder opportunities. “Even today, people [in the industry] think daily soap actors ko nahin lena hai, and I don’t think that’s going away anytime soon,” she says, adding that she herself has faced the brunt of this.

“I did face difficulty in getting opportunities because of the TV actor box [I was put in]. After doing Uttaran for more than five years, people couldn’t see me in another character, even during auditions. It was so difficult to get another show,” adds the 32-year-old.

This is precisely why Datta is excited to experiment with OTT. But, not at the expense of TV. “On the web, every character has its own importance. If there’s a strong character with a great personality, I would love to do it. I want to do both OTT and TV together. Right now, if the shoot is well-planned, it’s not difficult to do that. Sometimes, the channel may not want you to be a part of any other project. It can get taxing, but I will try my best,” she says.

Shifting to another medium also means being accommodative to a diverse range of content. What is her take on the so-called “bold scenes” often seen in OTT projects? “One of the projects [I am in talks for] has bold scenes. I don’t want to go overboard with it, I have to know if it’s required or not. As long as it’s shot and portrayed well, it’s fine. The character or script should demand that scene, zabardasti vulgar nahin lagna chahiye,” Datta wraps up.