I HAVE NO IDEA WHY MORE PEOPLE DON’T CAST ME
Dia Mirza likes to work with people who make her feel ‘safe’; adds that she doesn’t believe in asking for roles
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; February 1, 2024)

It’s been 22 years since actor Dia Mirza stepped into films, but she’s always been selective about the work she does. Having done movies such as Bheed and Dhak Dhak last year, the actor clearly doesn’t run after commercial potboilers. Ask why she takes on less projects, and Mirza says, “It (doing fewer films) is a combination of the kind of roles I get and me being choosy. I’ve still not cracked what it takes to get more projects (laughs).”

The 42-year-old adds, “I am not part of any group, clique or circle. I do my work and go home. I work with people who make me feel safe. I get to work with some of my directors again and again. But, I have no idea why more people don’t cast me.”

The actor, however, also adds that she has never been the one to go out and mingle for work. “I have kept to myself. There is a part of me that is so engaged in my entirety of existence, which isn’t defined only by my film work. There is so much else I do. I am greedy to gain more experience to be able to be on ground, work with real people. I feel my activism in various causes has made my art better. Sometimes I have refused to be part of some projects... if it is going to deprive me of the chance [to do other things], I wanted to be outside of being committed to longer periods of work,” she ends.