I HAVE
EMBRACED
INDIA
COMPLETELY
AS MY HOME:
ELLI AVRRAM
Currently exploring India for her show, the actor discusses breaking stereotypes and embracing diverse roles and reflects on her visit to Ayodhya
Mimansa Shekhar (HINDUSTAN TIMES; February 13, 2024)

Actor Elli AvrRam reveals that her significant challenge in the Indian film industry was breaking away from the perception that she could only excel in “glamorous roles and dance numbers”. According to her, “the scarcity of opportunities for more raw and unglamorous roles” contributed to this perception. 

AvrRam, with Swedish-Greek roots, entered the showbiz scene in 2013 and has since been featured in films including Mickey Virus (2013), Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon (2015), Jabariya Jodi (2019), Malang (2020), Goodbye (2022) and Ganpath (2023). “I have completely embraced India as my home. I will fight with anyone who speaks ill of it,” asserts the 33-year-old.

Currently traversing India for the shooting of her show India With Elli AvrRam Season 2, AvrRam shares insights from her recent visit to Ayodhya, where she witnessed the inauguration of the Ram Mandir amid fervour.

Expressing her amazement, she says, “Lord Ram is beautiful; I just wanted to stand and watch him. Hearing the crowd chant ‘Jai Shri Ram’ was really cool to witness. Watching documentaries or films will only give you a little understanding. It’s very different when you are actually there physically, engaging all your senses. I’ve always had curiosity regarding Hinduism and ancient knowledge.”

For AvrRam, exploring small towns during her travels aids in connecting with people. She notes, “The way they look at life, their thoughts and beliefs. What I love the most is that the spirit I see in people is kindness and helpfulness.”

Her recent release, Conjuring Kannappan (2023), received positive reviews. While travel shows help her connect with fans in real life, AvrRam emphasizes that picking the right scripts is crucial for her. “I should be able to watch a film I’ve been part of and feel proud. Whether it becomes a hit or not at the box office can never be in my, or anyone’s control,” concludes AvrRam.