Fraud spent ₹5L using Shantanu’s card; he rues ‘issue still unresolved’
Navya Kharbanda (HINDUSTAN TIMES; February 2, 2024)

Actor-dancer Shantanu Maheshwari recently underwent a distressing ordeal, falling prey to a bank fraud that unfolded between January 19 and 29.

“My email ID and phone number linked to my bank account (Axis Bank) were changed. The perpetrator, using the altered details, purchased a virtual My Zone card through my credit card without any notification. The card was generated without my knowledge — no OTP, nothing. This is alarming, not just for me but for anyone. How can your number and mail ID be shared and changed, leading to a credit card application without your awareness?” rues the actor.

Recounting the entire ordeal, he narrates, “I discovered this when attempting to pay a restaurant bill, and it showed ‘insufficient balance’ in my credit card. I knew that I hadn’t spent anything, so I checked and saw that the limit of Rs. 5 lakh was maxed out. Realizing someone else was using it, I quickly informed my bank, and they asked me to rectify it via their app, but it was under maintenance, and I couldn’t change it, so I informed the bank again. However, the issue hasn’t yet been resolved. I got a mail from the bank asking me to pay the credit card balance. My battle continues.”

“As a public figure,” Maheshwari feels “a responsibility to shed light on such incidents” and not shy away or feel embarrassed. “It’s important to stand up and say these things out loud,” says the 32-year-old.

Fraud spent ₹5L using Shantanu’s card; he rues ‘issue still unresolved’