Akshay and Priyadarshan to  reunite for a horror-comedy
Vinay MR Mishra (BOMBAY TIMES; February 2, 2024)

After working together in six comedy films, Akshay Kumar and filmmaker Priyadarshan are set to reunite for their seventh. After their last collaboration,Khatta Meetha in 2010, the two will be working together after 14 years for a horror comedy. Priyadarshan clarifies that the movie will not be a sequel or a spin-off to their cult hit Bhool Bhulaiyaa.

“My film with Akshay is not a remake. It is an original idea. The script is not mine; it was given to me by Ekta (Kapoor, producer). It is not Bhool Bhulaiyaa, but it will be a horror comedy, in the fantasy horror zone, as horror can never be real. I would even call Bhool Bhulaiyaa a psychological thriller with humour. So, this one is not a sequel to any movie. We are going on floors in October,” the director confirms.

The Chup Chup Ke director confesses that lately, he has not been working as much. “I was not happy with the scripts that were coming to me. This (project with Akshay) is something I found exciting,” he shares.

When asked why he did not direct the sequel to Bhool Bhulaiyaa, he replied, “I actually never had a subject (for Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2). I am very happy with the kind of success the film got, and I even congratulated Anees (Bazmee, director) for making it. It is not easy to make a successful sequel. Everyone accepted the film.”

While the scripting of the Akshay Kumar-starrer is on, Priyadarshan is also working on a documentary. “I have never made a documentary, so this is my first attempt at it. It is on the history of the Ayodha temple and starts from 1983.”

 Akshay and Priyadarshan to  reunite for a horror-comedy