IT’S TOUGH  TO FILL IN  MY DAD’S  SHOES:  ATHIYA

Renuka Vyavahare (BOMBAY TIMES; January 30, 2024)

Suniel Shetty is among the most loved people in the film industry. His daughter, Athiya, is aware of the respect her father has garnered over the years and hopes to imbibe his qualities. The actress is proud of her dad’s longevity as an actor and believes that his goodwill has helped him reach where he is.

“Everywhere I go, people talk about my parents’ goodwill. Any set that I go to, people talk about how much they like my dad, and when you hear people say such lovely things about him, you realise how hard it is to fill in his shoes. He is immensely loved and respected in the industry.”

She adds, “The same holds true for my mom (Mana). She has always held her own, worked towards being her own person and sacrificed her time to raise my brother Ahan and me. If there’s any quality of theirs that I would like to imbibe, it is the respect they have for people and their time. They are genuinely good-hearted people. If I can achieve even 5 per cent of the way they make people feel, I will be happy. They were strict with us while growing up, not in terms of getting good grades, but regarding giving people respect -- elders and peers. They raised us well.”

Elaborating on their equation, she says, “Neither of us are daddy’s or mommy’s children. There are certain things we can talk to dad about and not mom and vice versa. We have a great relationship with both our parents. Each relationship demands a different perspective and outlook. Growing up, our parents were like our friends even when the respect was always there. Ahan is way more righteous. If I am angry, it shows. I can argue with my parents, but he won’t. He never wants them to feel bad. He is more thoughtful that way. He thinks and overthinks. Personality-wise, I am more like my dad, while Ahan is a lot like my mom. In our family, we all balance each other out.”