I am here  to be a star:  Meezaan

Vinay MR Mishra (BOMBAY TIMES; January 26, 2024)

Even before his acting debut in Malaal, actor Meezaan was duly noted for his perfect shredded body. The actor's good looks have often grabbed eye balls and made headlines. While vanity comes with the territory – with a whole lot of conversations happening about Bollywood’s obsession with fillers, botox and plastic surgeries – it can also become a hindrance towards one’s craft.

‘I am here to be a star’
In an extremely candid conversation, Meezaan, who was last seen Yaariyaan 2, opens up on the dichotomy of vanity. He explains, “I would 100% agree that vanity is a huge part. But at the end of the day, the first priority is the performance. So, you got to perform well first, get that in order. Once you figure that out, then of course you should 100% try to look your best and do whatever you can to make that happen. I'm not against (it), but I don't support it either. I would never tell someone to not be who they are and completely change their face or get certain plastic surgeries done. Moreover, I can understand why people do it, because the requirement in the competition has become so high that one feels that in order to reach a certain acceptance level, one needs to do this. I think I've been gifted that I'm decent looking and I'm confident in myself as to how I look on screen, how I'll be able to portray the character. I just look at what I do and how good I can look. Of course to look good, I'm also dieting, I'm also working out. I'm shooting for 18 hours, but after that I have to go to the gym. I have to do my skin treatments and everything because my skin should look good. Of course I do all those things. I think the balance of both is what will make you a star. Because if you want to be a good actor, that's a different ball game. But if you want to be a star, then of course you'll do all these things. Your body also has to be good. You have to look good also. I'm here to be a star. I'm not interested in anything else. I think I have the ability and the potential to do so. So why not enhance that and achieve that.”

‘I want people to talk about me’
The idea of what it takes to be a star was implanted in Meezaan’s head by actor Hrithik Roshan, when he was visiting the sets of his film Bang Bang. “They shot for 16 hours and Hrithik was leaving. My dad (Javed Jaaferi) and I saw him. My dad asked him where he was going? He told us he is going to the gym. I looked at him and I said, ‘Now, aren't you tired?’ He put his hand on my shoulder and said, ‘It's easy being an actor, it's not easy being a star’. That's the learning process. There's everything that's involved in being a star. Your profession takes over your life. You have to be ready for that. The reason I'm an actor is because I want people to look at me. I want them to know or talk about me. If you want to be a star then don’t come down looking unkempt in your shorts and chappals. Always look your best when you get out of the house. That's the profession you're in,” he recalls.

'My father and I always have an argument about vanity'
During the conversation, Meezaan reveals having a discussion about the same with his father, actor Javed Jaaferi. “My father and I always have an argument about this. He comes from a different school of thoughts. But he's also right. He always says, ‘Don't think about all this, just think about your performance. Don't get so caught up and busy as to how I am looking. That's not what will make you a star’. And I agree with that. But of course, when you can also put in an effort there, then why not? Because when I go to a theatre, I want to see good looking people. I'm spending that money to see good looking stuff which I don't see in my everyday life. I want to see something larger than life. When a Hrithik Roshan comes on screen, he's performing well also and looking good as well. So that's very important,” Meezaan shares.