Ek closure toh chahiye yaar: Rajesh Kumar  on a possible new season of Sarabhai

Soumitra Das (BOMBAY TIMES; January 1, 2024)

During her trip to Ahmedabad a few months ago, Rupali Ganguly had told us, “When we did season 2 of Sarabhai vs Sarabhai in 2017, Monisha Sahil ko chhod ke chali gayi thi. So, I feel there has to be a closure, at least a special one-off episode like Friends.”

During his recent trip to Vadodara, we asked Rajesh Kumar (he played Rosesh in the iconic show), who was recently seen in the Nawazuddin Siddiqui-starrer OTT film Haddi and has done OTT shows like Kota Factory (season 2), about this and he told us, “Ek closure toh chahiye yaar! I feel it will be nice to have another independent season of Sarabhai vs Sarabhai, and there should be no comparisons with the first two seasons.”

Kumar, who was in town to attend the annual concert of a city-based school, added, “It was such a beautiful show and it continues to be popular with the current generation. I think it was way ahead of its time and the fantastic writing, satire and banter made it a winner.”

‘I really enjoy farming; it has taught me a lot’
In 2017, Kumar went back to his village in Gaya and started pursuing farming. While he faced challenges (a flood washed out the trees he had planted and he used up his savings), the actor, whose social media account bio describes him as ‘actor by profession, farmer by choice’, says that it has been a “great learning experience.”

He shares, “I was hosting a few rallies (for a movement about saving India’s rivers) and I was inspired by Sadhguru’s thoughts on changing the face of agriculture. I really enjoy farming; it has taught me a lot and changed my outlook towards life. When you stop thinking just about yourself and think about others, others also think about you. I now appreciate the efforts of our farmers even more. There have been challenges, lekin aap life mein agar risk lete ho, and then bounce back after setbacks, fun toh ussi mein hain na? Now, I love both (farming and acting). I have some interesting films and web series that will be released next year. I have shoots lined up till July 2024 and so, I am eagerly looking forward to the new year.”

‘Enjoyed my first trip to Vadodara’
It was my first trip to Vadodara, and I loved visiting MSU’S Faculty of Performing Arts near Sursagar Lake. Coming to Gujarat is always fun and I have even watched Gujarati films like Chal Man Jeetva Jaiye.

‘Television will always have its own audience’
Earlier, actors would easily get typecast based on their looks. There was a phase when I was regularly being offered the role of a police inspector. But with the OTT boom, only your performance matters and now, I enjoy doing films and web shows more (over TV). There are so many challenging roles to choose from, and you get more time to prepare too. However, television will always have its own audience, especially in smaller cities.