‘Don’t need to be a rebel, it’s a good time to be diplomatic’
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; December 4, 2023)

There was a time when actor Abhay Deol felt the need to charge forward with rebellion while using his “position of privilege” to the fullest. But now, he’s focussed on working his way towards change.

“At that time, I was idealistic. I used my privilege to shine a light on issues that I felt were important. I had to be vocal, there was no second thought of being diplomatic,” says Deol.

The 47-year-old is happy that his voice was heard. “It did make people shift whether it was in film or the kind of stories they were saying, or the brands I called out. Change did happen,” he says. However, he maintains: “I was a rebel back then, and I’m diplomatic today.”

When asked why, the Trial By Fire actor answers, “Now, I have to ask, ‘Do I want the result at the end of the day that I’m looking for?’ Yes. ‘Is rebellion getting you the results?’ No, because nothing else will come from rebellion. When you push people, they feel cornered.”

In fact, he has adopted a new way to make his voice heard. “How about not rebelling and fighting, which is why I am engaging now. If it’s not changing from the fight, then you have to join the system to change it from within,” he says, adding, “I’m happy that I fought the system. Today, I am a part of the system and I have not compromised on my values. It is a much better place to be. I’m older now. Younger people should take up the same causes that I took up.”

Wrapping up, the actor who is shooting for Bun Tikki at the moment, says, “I played a part in speeding up the process of looking at things differently. I will continue that.”