Ridhi Dogra: Did 'Jawan','Tiger 3'to challenge myself and put myself in uncomfortable spot

Tanvi Trivedi (BOMBAY TIMES; November 26, 2023)

Ridhi Dogra, who has kept away from the small screen for five years, is now focusing on OTT and films. She made her Bollywood debut with Lakadbaggha and was later seen in Jawan and Tiger 3. Ridhi says that lines are blurring for actors when it comes to working in different mediums, and the best way to move forward is to not carry any baggage.

“It pays to be patient. It is important to wait and pick up the right project. If I was in the 70s, and if I had played mother or guardian to a big Bollywood star in a film, my career would have been over. But today, things have changed,” says the actress who has also featured in OTT shows like Asur 2 and Mumbai Dairies 2.

While TV actors often complain of facing bias in other mediums, Ridhi says she hasn’t had any such experiences. “I did not carry the baggage of my past work on the sets. For a change, people welcomed me and shared how they knew about my background on TV. It was seen as an asset and not a limitation. I am glad that, as actors, we are not labelled or put into a category now because of different content on platforms. Sushant Singh Rajput had also done TV, but there was one director who believed in him. Similarly, I feel that for every five people who have preconceived notions about us, we need one person who believes in our work,” she shares.

Talking about the kind of roles she chooses, Ridhi says, “The conventional route for any actor is to have patience and wait for the right roles in films. But, sometimes, it is not a bad idea to do something that will push you. Many people have expressed shock, and there are memes around my character in Jawan, but I am glad people are talking about it.”

‘I have frozen my eggs’
On the personal front, the actress has been single since 2019 (she was earlier married to Raqesh Bapat). Ask her if she misses having a partner, and she says, “Currently, I don’t feel the need for a companion in my life. Anyway, I have never planned my career or my personal life.” About having a baby, she says, “I have not decided when I would like to become a mother, but I have frozen my eggs. I did that a few years ago. I am in no hurry to get married and have kids. It will happen when it’s destined. As of now, I am happy with my career and the way it is going.”