‘NOT JUST A NICE,
ROMANTIC BOY
ANYMORE’
With his recent work choices, actor Rajeev Khandelwal hopes to bring his versatility to the forefront
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; August 2, 2023)

With the film Bloody Daddy, Rajeev Khandelwal got a chance to play a “negative and sly antagonist”. However, the actor, best known for his portrayal of Sujal Garewal from Kahiin To Hoga or Rajveer Singh Shekhawat in Left Right Left, finds it puzzling that the audience continues to perceive him as “just a romantic boy”.

“I have not done romantic roles since my first show. I’ve done projects such as Aamir (2008), Shaitan (2011) and Table No 21 (2013), too. But people refuse to believe that I am not just a romantic boy,” says the actor.

But, the 47-year-old is happy that his first outing as a negative character turned out to be “overwhelming and unexpected”. The Jaipur-born actor informs us that it has translated into more projects coming later this year that are different from the “nice-boy image”.

As he continues to explore new avenues, Khandelwal recalls his way up the “not-so-easy” path of success, starting with the decision of quitting his first television show.

“I was offered more money to not quit. But, I followed my gut. After a couple of years, when it was not over for me, as predicted by many, I drew strength from my decisions,” shares Khandelwal, adding, “I used to be apprehensive, but with each call of mine, I got the confidence to take further steps. And till date, I have followed my instincts and kept insecurity at bay.”