Badshah: I’d love to collab with the talented kids of  Dharavi

Soumya Vajpayee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 18, 2023)

In a bid to give back to society, Badshah has decided to mentor underprivileged musicians from Mumbai’s Dharavi slum. “It’s been my long-pending goal to associate with the hip-hop talents in the slum,” says the rapper.  

Talking about his recent interaction with the musicians from the slum, the 37-year-old says, “I look forward to training them in all possible areas, extending beyond the art of music making.” The Issa Vibe (Bloody Daddy) composer plans to offer opportunities to these musicians: “I’d also love for them to collaborate with every top-ranking artiste in and outside the country.”

Badshah is excited about his new role as a mentor to young musicians from Mumbai’s Dharavi slum. “It’s been my long-pending goal to associate with the hip-hop talent in Dharavi,” says the rapper, adding that it was always his dream to become a mentor. “Mentorship comes very naturally to me, perhaps because I never had a mentor when I started off. It’s a spiritually uplifting process,” he adds.

The musician met the artistes in Dharavi for the first time recently. Talking about the interaction, the 37-year-old says, “I felt like I was in a studio, jamming with budding artistes who were eager to just learn. You’d be surprised with the kind of talent they possess. Some of them are OGs, waiting to be discovered. It’s a good thing that today we have multiple platforms and reality shows for artistes to showcase their talent and not be dependent on labels and management for their big break. I look forward to training them in all areas possible that may extend beyond the art of music making, because if you want to succeed in today’s time, you need to hustle in more ways than one.”

Sharing how he plans to go about training them, Badshah adds, “I have always believed that promising talent comes from the most unexpected places. I will be spending time with these under-resourced talents over the next two years to hone their skills and give them the right platform to produce and publish their music.”
------------------------------
Opening up about his beef with singer-composer Honey Singh in a recent interview with podcaster Raj Shamani, Badshah revealed that Singh used to ignore his calls many times and was “self-centred”. 

Recalling the days when they were a part of the same band, Mafia Mundeer, the rapper-singer, said, “In 2009, there was a break between me and Honey. I was very scared. When I tried calling him, he dodged my calls. Till the time we were in the band, we never met.”

He also shared that the two made several songs, but they were not released. Revealing more, Badshah said, “[Singh] should not [have been] so self-centred. He made us sign blank papers; what about those contracts? It was a tough phase.” 

Badshah: I’d love to collab with the talented kids of  Dharavi