Only audience has the power to make or break a show

S Farah Rizvi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 19, 2023)

In the recent past, a lot of television shows — including an ongoing one that Madalsa Sharma Chakraborty is a part of — have seen a rejig in their cast. However, the actor feels that no one other than the public can decide the fate of any project.

“Only the audience has the power to make or break a project. Word-of-mouth publicity can only add or deduct a few digits here and there,” the Banaras (2022) actor tells us.

Madalsa also believes that no matter what former members of a show may say in public, the audience has the final say. “People come and go, but if the project has public support, it will go on. Also, when actors, who were formerly a part of the crew, go out and try to tear down the show, their questionable attempts fall hollow, since the audience is the greatest judge,” she adds.

The audience’s love, she feels, is a great morale booster as well. “The love of the audience works like an instant booster for me. It peps me up and I want to work with honesty [for them],” she gushes.

During her stint in showbiz, the actor has done Telugu, Kannada, Hindi and Punjabi films as well as TV shows. She has also featured in music videos, the latest one being Dil Ki Tu Zameen, co-starring Sudhanshu Pandey. However, after her marriage in 2018 to actor Mahaakshay Chakraborty (Mimoh Chakraborty), she decided to take it easy.

“I was doing good work. But, after my marriage, I decided to slow down. However, my husband and my father-in-law (veteran actor Mithun Chakraborty) made me reconsider my decision. It was then that Rajan (Shahi, TV producer) sir offered me a pivotal character in Anupamaa. This association has made me very close and possessive for the show,” she shares.

Ask if she wants to explore other avenues and Madalsa says: “For now, television doesn’t leave me with much time. But, if something good comes up in other mediums, I will surely balance it with my ongoing project.”