'Adipurush' director Om Raut criticised for kissing Kriti Sanon on cheek at Tirupati

Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; June 14, 2023)

In one of the biggest roles of her career, Kriti Sanon will be seen playing Janaki in Om Raut’s magnum opus Adipurush. The movie that has her sharing screen space with Prabhas for the first time, hits the screens this Friday. Ahead of the film’s release, Kriti talks about the challenges she faced in bringing this part alive on screen. Excerpts:

‘PORTRAYING A CHARACTER THAT IS SO REVERED IS A PRIVILEGE’
In her repertoire of films, Kriti played contemporary roles, rooted characters from the heartland of India and even starred in period films. Talking about transforming into Janaki for Adipurush, Kriti says, “Portraying a character that is so revered is an extraordinary privilege that rarely presents itself in an actor’s career. I’m truly grateful to Om Raut and Bhushan Kumar for entrusting me with this remarkable role. I believe we don’t choose our films and characters. The films and characters choose us. I was meant to play Janaki and I feel blessed that Janaki chose me. ”

‘PRABHAS HAS EXPRESSIVE EYES AND A CALM DEMEANOUR’
Speaking about working with Prabhas for the first time, she shares, “I had heard he was reserved and initially he did come across as shy. But there wasn’t much ice to break. I just casually started talking about how my first film was a Telugu movie and it’s tough to act in a language that I didn’t know, then he opened up and started talking. He is incredibly grounded, warm and respectful. He has very expressive eyes and a calm demeanour and I couldn’t imagine anyone else playing Raghav.”
-------------------------------------
"The transformation into Janaki was also about internalizing the essence of the character. It took a lot of effort to immerse myself into Janaki's persona and understand her emotional journey and virtues and bring her alive on screen"
-------------------------------------
"This is the first film that I've fully shot on a blue screen. It was a huge learning experience to adapt to this style of filmmaking. The magnitude of VFX in Adipurush is massive. It's going to be a visually spectacular experience"