Dimple: My daughters pushed me to go out there and work
Syeda Eba Fatima (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 12, 2023)

Dimple Kapadia may come across as self-assured, but the actor says her mind is often clouded. “The fear factor and not being confident have played a significant role in my life,” says Kapadia, adding that her daughters, author Twinkle Khanna and former actor Rinke Khanna, have kept her motivated, professionally.

“I don’t think I’d be working at all [right now]. I’d just be sitting at home. But my kids have been instrumental in kicking and telling me that I have to go out there and work. That push has helped. Once, I told Twinkle, ‘I don’t want to work anymore. It’s too much and my health is suffering’. She just looked at me and said, ‘You need money?’ I said, ‘Yes’. So, she said, ‘Then keep your vanity at home and go work’. It was as blunt as that,” says the actor, who was seen in Saas Bahu Aur Flamingo recently.

Changing times
From Nandini Grewal in Pathaan to Savitri in Saas Bahu and Flamingo — the last one year has seen the 66-year-old portray a wide range of characters that were not available to her in the early stages of her career. Have filmmakers started seeing her in a different light? She disagrees: “It’s because cinema has changed over the years. Earlier, we had a set pattern with one villain, one vamp, one hero, one heroine... But then stories started evolving. Today, the subject is the king and good roles are written. That’s why all of us are benefitting.”

Game plan
While she received rave reviews for her performance in the web show Saas Bahu Aur Flamingo, Kapadia says she wanted to walk out of the project as she wasn’t sure about doing justice to the role. “It was offered to me and then I was told that somebody else was doing it. But I was very keen to do it despite all the fears. After I came on board, I tried hard to get out of it [due to my apprehensions]. Every trick I tried, failed, and I’m so glad that happened,” she says.